Six Impossible Things by Renee Carter Hall






Hello everyone! Today I will be reviewing a collection of short stories called Six Impossible Things by Renee Carter Hall

I honestly never heard of this book before prior to reading it. I was just browsing through iBooks one day and happened to come across this and thought I'd give it a try. I'm so glad I did, though, because I really enjoyed it! All of the stories were cute, magical, full of imagination, and overall just fun to read.

Since this is a collection of short stories and not just one novel, I'm going to be reviewing it a little differently. Instead of putting it in its typical format, I'm going to be giving you a quick run-down of each short story and what I thought about it. Here we go!







Childish Things

This story is about a man named Dave whose newborn daughter is struggling in the hospital. When he decides to take an elevator and it stops working, he has a visit from Jinks, his imaginary friend from childhood. As they wait for the elevator to get working again, Jinks transports Dave into the imaginary world that they used to play in once more as a reminder.

My Thoughts: It started off on a serious note regarding the newborn, but once Jinks comes into play it ended up being such a good story that was full of imagination. It reminded me of what it was like when I was a child and would have adventures with my imaginary friend. It shows us the concept that even though we grow up and forget what is imaginary, the imaginary doesn't forget about us. 









Moon, June, Raccoon

This tells the story about a young woman who is desperately looking to find love since all of her friends have found their perfect match. She decides to cast a spell that she found in a New Age spell book, not expecting it to really do anything. But the next day, she sees that the spell did its job when a witty, talking raccoon becomes her matchmaker and helps her find someone to love.

My Thoughts: I know, I know! You might be thinking it's silly based on the plot I just gave you. Believe it or not, though, it was actually a really cute and romantic story. It was light, funny, and was surprisingly touching. This is definitely my favorite story out of the collection!









Norma The Walmart Greeter Meets The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

I guess the title explains it all for this one! Norma is a Walmart Greeter who happens to be there when the Four Horsemen show up and just enter the store.

My Thoughts: It's pretty short, but I'd say that it's just the right size for a story like this. It's pretty funny to read on how The Four Horsemen just enter Walmart one day and do some shopping. 










Swear Not By The Moon

Swear Not By The Moon tells the story of the bond between a father and son who are both faol, a type of werewolf. 

My Thoughts: I'm actually quite a fan of werewolf stories, so I thought this one was pretty cool. It also examines the father/son relationship and the fact that everyone grows old eventually, even if you are a werewolf.










Drawn From Memory

Lauren Mitchell is a writer for a blog called Forever Toons, and has scheduled to meet and interview one of her favorite cartoon characters: Terrence Tiger. While it was meant to be a single interview for her blog, the two of them end up spending more time together than they expected.

My Thoughts: This one is for anyone who watched cartoons and always cheered on one of the characters. I really liked this because it takes place in a world where our favorite characters co-exist with us, and I think that would be pretty cool in real life. For the topic being about cartoons, Renee Carter Hall pulled this story off nicely in my opinion.









The Garden

This story, the ending to the collection, tells the story of a young girl who tries to grow a garden out of bird seed. And the results turn out with much surprise!

My Thoughts: It's another quick read in the collection. However, I think it was a cute way to end it as well. It may be another short one just like The Four Horsemen story, but it's another one that just puts a smile on your face.









Is It Worth Reading?

Based on how great these stories were, I will definitely be checking out more work from Renee Carter Hall. I'm still trying to figure out why I didn't read her work sooner. What's wrong with me?

In short, this is a wonderful collection of stories that I would gladly recommend checking out. I found myself rereading a couple of them just for the sheer joy of it!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Children's Book Picks For Summer Reading!

The House by Christina Lauren

We All Looked Up: A Spectacular and Philosophical YA Read!