Survive The Night by Danielle Vega





Hello, everybody! Welcome to my first ever book review here on Matthew's Bookshelf. I thought I would start off my site on a positive note by sharing an awesome page-turner. Today I'm going to be talking about Survive The Night by Danielle Vega.

First of all, let me say that I know it's not right to judge a book by its cover. But in this case, I was first drawn into it by the pretty yet spooky cover. I decided to give this book chance after reading its synopsis, and let me tell you... 

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! 

As much as I try to contain my enthusiasm, this one is just worth raving about. And you'll see why in a little bit!





What's The Story?


Casey just got back from rehab and decided to spend some time with her friends, Shana, Julie and Aya. After not being in public for a long time, they talk her into coming to Survive The Night, which is an all-night rave that takes place in a New York subway tunnel. They think it will be fun for Casey to party all night in the abandoned subways, but the catch is that they are not permitted to leave until 5 A.M. Things escalate, however, when Casey happens to unfortunately stumble across the corpse of one of her friends as while exploring one of the abandoned subway tunnels. They get back to where the party is and everybody is gone! Now that they are stuck underground, Casey and her remaining friends find themselves running through the tunnels trying to find a way out. Someone, or something, meanwhile, is hunting them down.






Likes

Not quite sure where to start about this book. First of all, let me just say that horror is not typically a genre I read a lot. I occasionally read some horror stories from time to time, but most of them either try too hard to scare you or are just not scary at all. But Survive The Night is totally different! Danielle Vega sure does an excellent job at putting great detail into the atmosphere of the story. Even if the majority of the book takes place at this underground rave, the scenery was still crafted perfectly. In my mind, I could hear the rave music and feel the terror they felt as they try to escape.







Dislikes

I know that it seems a little informal to say nothing, but in all honesty I really can't think of anything negative to say about this. The only thing to dislike is Shana, but that's just because of her personality. She is a very unlikable character, but that's the whole point of why she's in the story. The antagonists and villains of a story, on occasion, can be really fun to read about because sometimes they are actually interesting. But not in this case; Shana is totally uncool!







Is It Worth Reading?

Absolutely! Even if horror is not your thing, I would recommend giving this one a try. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat and make it impossible to stop reading.






Rating




Thanks for reading this review, make sure you keep coming back for many great book reviews coming real soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The House by Christina Lauren

5 Children's Book Picks For Summer Reading!

We All Looked Up: A Spectacular and Philosophical YA Read!