The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord







Hey everybody! Today's review is going to be about The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord. I haven't really reviewed many YA contemporary stories, so I thought now would be the right time to do one. So let's go!











What's The Story?

It has been one year since Paige Hancock's boyfriend died in a swimming accident. After practically shutting out the world for two years, she thinks that it's time to have a second chance at high school. She begins to form a plan, the first objective within it being to get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to go on a date with her. The second of her objective is joining a club, which in the beginning seems simple. But when Ryan's cousin, Max, comes to town and persuades Paige to join the school's QuizBowl team, the perfect plan totally backfires. 














Likes

While there was a couple things I didn't like as much with this story, I ended up liking The Start of Me and You a lot more than I originally planned to. So let's get started, shall we?

First off, there's Max! I mean, you can try not to like him, but you will fail miserably at that. He was smart, nerdy, a lover of books and just overall a fun character to the story. Honestly, I feel like some of us need someone like him by their side, to be there whenever something's wrong and help you overcome obstacles.

The relationships throughout the story, both with her friends and her family, were a wonderful aspect to the book also. Rather than simply being inserted to add additional characters, Paige's friends were wonderful people that you also learn to love. You learn about them along the way and get to hear of their backstories, and that was an element that I liked. I also enjoyed the relationship that Paige had with her family. After all, what would a story be without a little bit of family drama? Just like her friends, Paige's family has a purpose within the story as it unfolds.

Also, the style it was written was very easy to get into. It really felt like you were there and that Paige was taking you along with her for the journey!
















Dislikes


Even though I really liked Paige around the middle of the book, I didn't really like her in the beginning. Within the first portions of the book, she was thinking so irrationally and I was pretty sure that she was going to turn into one of those characters that you end up disliking. But luckily she matured along the way, and that was nice because I enjoy when characters have some growth to them.

And while you find out who ended up with who, the love triangle was kinda frustrating to me.













Is It Worth Reading?

Despite having a few flaws to it, I would say that this one was worth my time. While not exactly a favorite, it still makes for a quick and cute read.











Rating

★★★☆☆

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Children's Book Picks For Summer Reading!

We All Looked Up: A Spectacular and Philosophical YA Read!

The House by Christina Lauren