The House by Christina Lauren



Happy Halloween everyone! There's nothing quite like reading stories with a spooky side to them, and that's exactly what I'm going to be reviewing today. The book on today's agenda is The House by Christina Lauren!






What's The Story?

Delilah Blue is obsessed with all sorts of spooky things. Her second obsession, however, is a boy who goes by the name of Gavin Timothy. He was the reason that Delilah was sent away to boarding school, but Delilah can't stay away now that she's back in town. But a greater force tries to tear the two of them apart. As both Gavin grows closer to Delilah, he shares a secret that brings her both delight and fear. His house is far from ordinary, and it is not pleased with Delilah's presence.









Likes

I wasn't quite sure what to expect going into The House. I know that Christina Lauren is well-known for writing romance novels, but I'll admit that this is the first work I've read of hers. With that being said, this was a great story. She provides the reader with a nice love story, and blends the spooky and supernatural elements into it wonderfully. So let me get started on the review!

Like I said before, this story blends both horror and romance together. But despite being YA, this is not the typical romance that you find in most stories. Not just because of the whole "haunted house" thing, but Gavin plays an important role in why as well. He's an odd boy and was raised under some even odder circumstances, making him someone that others would want on their side. 

I really liked Delilah too. She had her oddities that made her unique, but I admired her strengths and overall confidence. Christina Lauren sure knows how to write a strong and amazing female character!

Then there's the concept of Gavin's house being haunted. You know how some people get quite attached to their house? What if, instead, your house ended up getting attached to you? Creepy to think about, right? Being a lover of spooky and peculiar things, I immediately dived right into the idea of Gavin living in a haunted house. No details were spared when it came to painting the picture of Gavin's house inside your head. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I personally think it'd be cool to visit a place like his, where the house practically had a mind of its own. Anyone up for that?











Dislikes

This is where it gets tough, because it's hard to fully point out one of my dislikes without completely spoiling the story for anyone who hasn't read it. So I'll try to point some of the other minimal things that I disliked.

We know for a fact that Gavin was raised under some odd circumstances, but the story just left me wanting to know more on the origins of House. It just needed some more details in my opinion, or maybe even a prequel to explain what Gavin's life was like growing up in the haunted house. But that's just my two-cents on that matter!












Is It Worth Reading?

If you're looking for a YA story that combines both romance and the supernatural, then you've come to the right place! The House is an entertaining story that will leave readers begging for more.










Rating

★★★★☆







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Children's Book Picks For Summer Reading!

We All Looked Up: A Spectacular and Philosophical YA Read!

Picks For Kids: The Voice, The Revolution, and The Key by Jenny L. Cote!