Reawakened by Colleen Houck




Okay, everybody, what is the first image that comes to mind when you think of a mummy? Probably some ugly-looking person from the dead, completely wrapped in bandages, right? If that's what you're thinking of, prepare to have a totally different image in mind as we dive into this awesome and adventurous book. So kick back, relax, and get ready to go on a trip as I tell you about Reawakened by Colleen Houck.






What's The Story?

Seventeen-year-old Lily Young is exploring the Metropolitan Museum of Art during her spring break, stumbling upon something she never expected she would find. She discovers Amon, an Egyptian prince who has been reawakened after being mummified for thousands of years. After discovering his true purpose, Lily is chosen to aid him in a quest to find his long-lost brothers and save mankind as they know it. The two of them travel back to Egypt in order to revive Amon's brothers and stop a shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world. The catch, however, is that they only have until the next full moon to complete these tasks.




Likes

Now this is definitely a good story! For me, Colleen Houck has done it again. The reason I say that is because I'm a big fan of her work. Ever since I first read Tiger's Curse (which is personally my favorite series I'm reading this year), I was totally converted into a die-hard Colleen Houck fan. It was natural for me to be drawn towards Reawakened, and I'm telling you that it was absolutely worth the read. While it had the same formula used in the Tiger's Curse series, it's a fun and adventure-filled story that will keep the pages turning! So let me dig into this and give you some more details on why I enjoyed this.

The plot was a pretty cool story. It starts of in New York, where Lily calls home, but then we get deeper into the story and join Amon on a trek to Egypt. I love a little adventure in my life, and Reawakened fulfilled that craving. It has some moments that are danger-filled, but also some humor thrown into the story as well. Now like the Tiger's Curse saga, this book does contain some romance. While the book is not completely centered around it, we do get a little implication that Lily and Amon have some love for each other. You just have to read it and see for yourself how it all goes down.

I really enjoyed Lily as the main character and the narrator of the story. In the beginning she was coming off as this very snotty person, but over time I really felt a connection to her. I was rooting her on as she was starting to explore the world and help Amon in completing his quest. Speaking of Amon, I really liked reading about him to. He was caring, funny at times, and overall a pretty likable character. Another thing about him was that because he was a prince from long ago, he has no clue about what exists in the modern world. And that leads to some pretty funny moments and some wake-up calls for him as he figures out what this new world holds.

Then we have the scenery throughout the book. Just like she did in Tiger's Curse, Colleen Houck does an excellent job at crafting all the details of the world around her characters. Since I was in the third grade, I loved reading about mythology and always thought it was pretty cool. So when I realized that Houck's writings all had ties to mythology from different cultures, that's something that really made me happy. I love how she used stories from the Egyptian culture and combined them with her wonderful imagination. I mean, we literally go everywhere through Egypt. We see tombs and pyramids, experience quicksand, and so much more.








Dislikes

There's not that much to point out this time around. I will say though that I am glad there's more installments to this series. Because if this would have been a stand-alone and I finished it like that, I would've been a little upset. Without giving away anything, I'll just say that the Lily's journey is FAR from over! But I really enjoyed this and look forward to diving into the next book!













Is It Worth Reading?

This is definitely an adventure that you want to have on your bookshelves! While it's not as good as Tiger's Curse, it's still a fun, action-packed story that I will believe will keep the pages turning.







Rating

★★★★☆










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Children's Book Picks For Summer Reading!

We All Looked Up: A Spectacular and Philosophical YA Read!

The House by Christina Lauren